Thursday, April 26, 2007

German Apple Pancake

This dish makes a wonderful breakfast,
Sunday night supper,
or even a dessert.



German Apple Pancake

Ingredients for Pancake:

2 T. butter
3 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Ingredients for Apple Topping:

4 tart apples, peeled and diced
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. brown sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste





Preheat oven to 450o F.

Using an oven proof skillet or round cake pan,
Melt 2 T. of butter in preheating oven.

Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, and salt in a bowl.

Remove hot pan from oven, and
swirl melted butter around pan (to grease).

Pour off remaining butter into batter and stir.

Pour batter into hot pan and pop into preheated oven.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
[While pancake is cooking prepare apple topping.]

Pierce any bubbles in pancake with a fork, and reduce heat to 350o.
Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes.





Topping:

Melt 1/2 c. butter over low to medium heat.
Add chopped apples and 1/2 c. brown sugar.
Add approximately 1 tsp. cinnamon
and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.
Saute until apples are softened, 8 to 10 minutes.



When pancake is finished gently remove from pan to serving plate.
Pour topping into center of pancake and serve.




Sous Chef Tip: Canned apple pie filling will work instead of topping. It will be a bit thicker, but still yummy!

FYI: This recipe is very similar to a Yorkshire Pudding or Popovers, it is, however, a bit eggier tasting than it's English cousins. :o)

13 comments:

CaraqueƱa said...

Just RUSHED through your blog...busy mom! Loved it...keep it up!

Karen said...

Oh yum! I could wake up to that every morning!

Mrs. Hurzeler said...

Jodi-That looks amazing. I have been wanting to make an apple pie for about a week, and so when I saw your beautiful pancake it made me want to come for breakfast. God Bless. Thanks for coming to my blog. I posted about my finds that I got today!

Tammy said...

I've made one of those! I have a recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook. My recipe had the apples baked right in it though. I think we liked it, but it's been so long since I made it! (LOL)

Kristi said...

Oh my word, that's the most sinful looking pancake I've ever seen. LOL...Save me some, please?? ;)

~Kristi

Kelli said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this! I'm so excited that you can use a cake pan because I don't have an oven safe skillet. It looks delicious!!!
Kelli

Shop girl said...

Jodi, This looked so good, I wanted to reach in and get it. I know it smelled wonderful...I will try this one, you have so many wonderful idea's.I love coming to your blog...the music is so nice too. I will be back, Hugs Mary

Aldara said...

Oh this looks absolutely delicious. i will have to try it one of these days!
Blessings

Sis. Julie said...

Oh me!!! That looks absolutely wonderful!!! I'm going to have to write down that recipe and try it. Wow!! MMMMmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Jodi said...

Caraquena, I'm so glad you stopped by and that you enjoyed your visit. :o)

*************

Karen, I agree ~ my lips say "so", but my hips so "no" - lol!

*************

Carrie Lee, Mmmm we love apple pie at our house, too! You come on over for breakfast, and we'll pop into your place for dessert - lol! Actually this pancake makes a nice, super-quick replacement for apple pie. It's not quite the same, but it does sometimes satisfy that craving. :o)

*****************

Ooo, Tammy, I've not seen a recipe that bakes the apples right into it. I'll have to see if I have that in my cookbooks. I actually got the original recipe for this from a friend of my sister-in-law when their families were both stationed in Germany. I have, however, tweaked it a bit to suit me better (as usual - lol).

*******************

Kristi, ;o) consider your piece saved!

************

Kelli, I always make one in my cast iron skillet and one in my cake pan. [*sigh* it's one of those recipes where one is not quite enough for our family size and two is too much, *but* somehow the left over always manages to disappear before lunch time - lol!] Anyway, there is very little difference between the two pans.

********************

Mary, I wish I *could* make one for you. It does smell wonderful!

**********************

Aldara, let me know how it works out. [I'm hoping it's more cooperative than those naughty peeps!] :o)

*****************

Julie, I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine. We consider this recipe a keeper. :o)

smkyqtzxtl said...

Jodi, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a word of encouragement. I have enjoyed yours in the past and will continue to as well as be inspired by it. This recipe looks yummy! Pam

Beka said...

Oooh, that looks YUMMY!! I will definitely be making it in the near future!

Beka said...

Oooh, that looks YUMMY!! I will definitely be making it in the near future!