Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pie Crust

(We interrupt this unplanned blogging hiatus in order to post our family's pie crust recipe that is forever being misplaced in this house!)


Mix dry ingredients:

4 cups flour
1 TB sugar
2 tsp salt

Cut in . . .

1 cup cold butter
3/4 cup cold shortening

Toss lightly with

1 beaten egg
1/2 cup ice water

Add additional ice water by the tablespoon
only as needed (up to 1/2 cup).

Makes 4 single crusts or 2 double crusts.

[For anyone curious, in the photo Brittany used 1/2 of the above recipe (2 single crusts), lined a 9 x 13 pan and doubled my quiche recipe to fill it. It was as yummy as it looks. :o)]


I hope everyone's summer
is goingwent well. Ours became busier than initially planned. I have a few pictures to post if I ever get enough time to actually sit at the computer for more than five minutes on the fly.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

This looks yummy! My pie crust calls for shortening, too, though I'm trying to do away with shortening in our home. Have you ever tried lard?

Jodi said...

Tracy ~ I've not tried lard - though I've heard it does make a very flaky crust. In my experimentation crust with all shortening tasted a bit flat and all butter was somewhat fragile. I just kept pulling from different recipes and tweaking until I got what we liked. The result is that the final recipe has been jotted on the edge of another recipe for a few years now and keeps getting lost in the shuffle. :o) My blog seemed like a safe place to plant it for now. Let me know if you experiment with lard - I'd love to know how it turns out in taste and texture.

~~Deby said...

yummmmm...do you know I have had to go to my blog before for my season salt recipe...whew...I was glad I had posted on it...

Jodi said...

lol Deby - I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :o)

Mimi said...

Jodi and Brittany...that Quiche makes me hungry....your's are always so delicious.....